Monday, October 1, 2007

THE Studio

Those of you who already know me, or have been up-to-date here on my blog, or have met me and gotten to know me here on the island know a few things about what I've been doing. For those who don't, besides being the kindergarten kid's mommy, Marine wife, busy homemaker and diver (among oh so many other things) - I've been carrying around our camera a whole lot. This place is just photogenic! And the other thing Okinawa has going for it is that it's FULL of families, and many of them have LOTS AND LOTS of kids! And these families come from all kinds of interesting places, and all branches of the military, and my camera truly loves them. And I love meeting them.

Shortly after we moved into our place, I was lucky enough to meet a neighbor named Leighanne, and on my first visit to her apartment, I noticed some lovely pictures of her beautiful daughter Aubrey on her walls. She told me they were taken by a photographer here on the island, Serena Nicole. I looked up the website, and when I commented to her about it, Leighanne said, "I think she might be looking for an assistant or something, it was on her blog...." Well, it was. And when I read that she was looking for photographers, I thought to myself, "Self- what do I have to lose?"

I filled out an application online, put together a little portfolio of pictures I'd taken of kids & families & babies in San Diego (THANKS, friends!) and of course of my own kid, and sent it in. That evening (I want to say within 2 hours!) a woman called me to tell me they're having a "shoot-off" at Araha beach, and could I come that week? Um - um - yeah, ok. That day we did a 15-minute shoot of a family of three, and then I got a call-back, and then the next week I visited with Serena Nicole and her assistant, Shelia, and they critiqued the previous week's shots a bit and asked me back for a 45-minute shoot on that weekend. I guess that went my way too, because a few days later I was offered a job!

During the month of September, we spent each Sunday training together, and several weekdays scoping out the cool and interesting locations where we'd be shooting. I say "we" and "together" because we're a team! Meredith - my fabulous first shooter - "Thing 1" - also keeper of my favorite local blog, okinawahai.com, and an all-around smart and sassy lady with a contagious smile and that fantastic northeastern sense of humor that I just GET. (I was destined to befriend this woman - I was already emailing with her before we applied for the job together!) I would be "Thing 2" - second shooter. And Erin, the amazing assistant who juggles our extra gear, the clients' shoes, paperwork to fill out, toys to make the kids look up and SMILE, and oh so much more - and she's the most sweet and wonderful person - the kids all fall in love with her. (So do the parents, she's quite a looker too!) I'm so lucky to have befriended this bunch, and to be working with such a great and talented crew!

Ok - so without further ado - the website launched today and you all can finally SEE what the buzz is about, and you can see the gallery with pictures we've been taking of some downright gorgeous families:

http://www.thestudiobyserenanicole.com/
(be patient - it's brand new - today - so it might be in & out for a little while)

(for additional info including some comments from the families we've shot so far, see THE blog at http://serenanicolestudios.typepad.com/thestudiobyserenanicole/)

Questions?? Ask away! If you're living here in Okinawa, or know people here - spread the word! We want to fill that calendar with appointments. I can't wait to see your family there. (Holidays are coming... now's the time!)

Thanks to EVERYONE on this list for kind words, support, help, encouragement, and love. I'm really happy that my path led in this direction, I'm really enjoying it.

No comments: