Thursday, January 31, 2008

Last Night

Each school day, Mia brings home a library book of her choice. Part of her homework is to read said book, or sometimes if it's complicated, we help out. She tends to guess at words by looking at pictures instead of sounding them out. So a page with a big mouse on it that says he's going to the "movies" reads "going to the mmmmmmouse??"

It's frustrating because we KNOW she can do this reading thing, but she keeps guessing instead of just sounding out the word. So last night, Craig was having her read the book and I heard the same thing happening and made a decision. "Mia - we're going to find some kindergarten-level books with no pictures so that you will try to sound out the words and not guess what they are."

"Noooooooooo! I don't like books like that! I like the pictures! That's BORING!"

"What do you mean? I'm not saying we're never reading books with pictures, I'm saying we'll get a couple of simple books that will be easy for you to read - with a few challenging words to sound out. Just no pictures."

(Sarcastic tone ensues.)

"...what's the book gonna be called, 'The Blank Page'???"

Thanks, Mom. The curse you laid on me to have a child just like me, you'll be happy to know that worked.

No comments: